Monday, October 7, 2013

Nothing is More Important


Good Morning!

Everything is going well for us here in Wisconsin Rapids.  We had a great week throughout the Wausau Zone as we exceeded our goal for baptismal dates by 2.  We have a goal for 16, and this week we achieved 18! With General Conference behind us, I feel like there are miracles which are waiting to take place! We here are grateful for modern day prophets and apostles who stand as mouthpieces for God.  

Rylee, Mekelee, & Elder Gautavai
taken just before the MTC curbside drop off January 25, 2012
Rylito emailed me today and talked with me about my decision to return home later than the January 3.  I can tell you this was a difficult decision, and the adversary did all he could to make me feel like this was the wrong decision.  Immediately after I made the decision to stay in the field the adversary immediately plagued me with thoughts to not only finish my mission casually but to also finish my mission rebelling against God through disobedience, that my family has already planned everything for me to come home early so they will be hurt by this decision, and that I would fighting against revelation I received earlier on.  As I struggled for a couple of days after deciding to stay in the field, the Lord spoke peace to me, several times.  I will share with you the same insights I shared with Rylito.


Yes, I have decided to come home and finish my mission on January 30  I actually changed my decision, but I have received a confirmation from the Lord January 30 is an acceptable time for me to return home.  I will share with you 2 things that helped me to make this decision:

1 - President Cutler, lovingly, suggested the First Presidency has full intentions on every missionary, regardless of schooling, serving for 2 years in their assigned field.  I felt a deep impression this is exactly what the Lord would have for all of his children, and that demonstrating faith in the Lord's commands always brings increased testimony and happiness.

2 - Elder Perkins, a Seventy in the church, came to our mission and taught us one way missionaries can model their lives is after that of the mission president's and his wife's.  I was touched deeply by this statement as both President Jones and President Cutler have moved me to exercise greater faith than I ever have before.  I thought back to a letter President Cutler had written me where he talked about how he had postponed his early arrival for school to labor in the field.  I see how this small sacrifice has brought him to a greater and deeper understanding of the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ, and it touched my heart this is a path worthy of following. 

Carson & Rochelle, Faaagi, Elder Gautavai, & Grandpa
 

While there have been other things that have influenced my decision to stay in Wisconsin for the additional 3 weeks or so, your father's voice has also rung through my mind. Right before I went into the MTC he told me, "nothing is more important here at home than the things you will do for the next 2 years."

I testify serving a full-time mission is a commandment from the Lord Jesus Christ. Just as obeying the Word of Wisdom and going to church each Sunday is a commandment, serving a full 2 year mission is the same. President Monson has said, "Every worthy, able young man should prepare to serve a mission. Missionary service is a priesthood duty—an obligation the Lord expects of us who have been given so very much."

I would encourage you to share this wonderful knowledge with those of your friends who may struggle with the choice to serve a mission.  It is a commandment of God, and it has changed my life forever.  The Lord himself declared this in the Doctrine and Covenants saying, "And now, behold, I say unto you, the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen."

Love you guys!

PS:  Elder Johnson (Elder Gautavai's companion) is front and center! 



No comments:

Post a Comment