This conference was a pretty good one! I prayed yesterday before going to conference that I would gain a better understanding of the process of repentance, and what it means to do that. It seemed like all of the things that we're impressionable to me where statements that were made about God wanting to forgive, and people not having to be perfect in order for him to do that. There were a lot of talks I felt weren't even centered around the process of repentance, but would still have a statement that correlated with God's forgiveness, and not being perfect. I found a lot of comfort in the talks.
That was really weird to hear Mekelee is going to be in 7th grade! I seriously didn't even realize how old he is getting. Claire, the girl I was able to baptize in Sun Prairie, is his age. It was so weird when I pieced that puzzle together, because I always thought she was way older than Mekelee, but the thing I didn't realize is Mekelee has gotten older even since I've left. I can't believe he's going into the 7th grade already!
![]() |
| Elder Gautavai, Elder Whicker, & Elder Muirbrook |
Elder Whicker is doing really good! He's currently serving in Elkhorn, and is training Elder Muirbrook, who just barely came out! I got to hang out with him on Wednesday at transfer point, and he is the same Elder Whicker, and goofier than ever! He is way funny!
Elder Marcum is doing pretty good as well. He is serving in Adams-Friendship, and is with Elder Quintreqeio, who actually came out with me. I'm not sure how they're doing, but I'm sure they're doing fine together.
Elder Scott is my new companion, and he is from Tooele, UT! And he knows Rylie Mulitalo. Weird huh? He is a pretty good missionary, but I'm trying to help him to see how much we have to do here as Zone Leaders to really set the example for the rest of the Milwaukee North Zone. It has been interesting serving here, because of how discouraged our little zone gets. It makes it so we have to work that much harder, but also be effective. He has an intense journey ahead of him here in the Parkway Ward!
Want to know something really weird? Elder Richards, who I served with in Marinette, goes home next month, and then Elder May, Elder Haertel, and President Jones all go home the following month. It is so weird! I remember telling Elder May and Elder Richards repeatedly that when they go home, I'd be getting pretty close myself, and they're just about to go home!
The thing that really makes me sad is that President Jones is leaving. I know I've said that before, but I've really come to see how the way that he council's, and the person that he is has had a really big influence on me since I've been here on a mission. I contrast it to Elder Gautavai who is serving in Georgia, and think of how President Harding's personality has the perfect attributes to influence Elder Gautavai in his life as well. I've really come to find that I've learned a lot from President Jones, and although he can be very awkward w/his dry sense of humor, the way that he shows his love is amazing to me. I have always appreciated the quiet and reverent manner that he conducts himself, and his desire to serve. It has helped me to find new patterns in life that I can follow, and mold myself after. I know President Cutler will bless the lives of the people just as much as President Jones, but I'm still really going to miss President Jones.
We were able to have the kids in the M. family come to Priesthood this last Saturday which was good! G (the guy who is living in their home) didn't come for whatever reason. I did care that the kids came though, because although I knew they probably wouldn't get much out of listening to guys talk for 2 hours, I knew it was the best thing for them to be doing that Saturday night. Better than being at home, better than hanging out with friends, and better than getting into trouble. It was awesome to have them there, and just see how they really need a father figure in their lives, or they need to become something more than they really are. My goal with them is to help them to be able to discern right from wrong and good from evil as we teach them the Gospel, and immerse them with people of the Parkway Ward. We're planning on being pretty firm with F., their mom, and G, on what they need in their lives. If we feel like the two of them are not going to change, then we're going to try to teach the kids separate, and hopefully have G and F make changes in their lives based on the light that they see from their kids.
One thing that really stood out to me this morning in my personal study was the Introduction to the Book of Mormon. I finished reading the Book of Mormon not too long ago for the 9th maybe 10th time since I've been out on my mission, and so it was time for me to start over again. I wanted to really key in on the introduction, so I could really see how it applies to the people here in Wisconsin. It really occurred to me that all the Book of Mormon is, is God's dealings with people, who are of the House of Israel, and therefore his children. It was neat for me to really see this, because it helped me to understand that in order for people to grow closer to Christ they must read the book, ponder how God really works w/his children here on the Earth, and then asked God whether the book is true. It really simplified a lot for me, and helped me to really see how people can study more effectively from the Book of Mormon.
Love you guys!
Elder Gautavai

No comments:
Post a Comment